Saturday, December 20, 2008

Our Special Little Blessing


We are so blessed to be Jadyn's parents. She reminds us daily of how to serve and become more like our Heavenly Father.

We decided to serve this year by volunteering to ring bells for the Salvation Army (thanks Sonja for the idea). We thought it would be a great way to start teaching Jadyn about helping those less fortunate.

This morning, we bundled her up (it was below 20 degrees here with a windchill making it feel even colder). Nathan and Jadyn did most of our shift while I kept Maya inside the mall with me. When I came back to check on them, Jadyn's nose was red so I offered to switch them. Jadyn at first agreed, but then said she wanted to stay and ring the bells with me still.

She was so cute. She was telling everyone Merry Christmas and saying Thank you in her sweet little voice. I was amazed at how many people gave money (and larger amounts than I expected...most gave $2-3, many people gave $5, and we had a few $10 donations). I have rung the bells before, but never with this many people giving. I know it was because my sweet little daughter, with a cold, beet red nose was standing there selflessly asking for people to help others.

We were trying to teach Jadyn about how to serve. I think Nathan and I ended up being reminded of what the Christmas season should be about. This sweet little girl is such a blessing.

7 comments:

Derek Thompson said...

She is really cute. I think that when we have kids we will do something like that also. The younger they learn to be selfless the better.

Anonymous said...

Next year look for one of the inside locations!

Clenece said...

That is so sweet! What a great idea!

David said...

Good for you guys--esp. in the COLD weather!

Stephi said...

AWWWW so cute!!

Sara said...

20 below!!! We love Alabama more and more every day! Jadyn really is a sweetheart. I think she was just born that way, but great parents couldn't have hurt either!

Sonja said...

I'm so glad that you had a great experience. She is such a cutie.