Sunday, September 27, 2009

The story of the staples

On the afternoon of September 17th, I heard Jadyn scream from the other room. She came in and said she hit the gate (I think she must have hit the corner of the wall by the gate). I gave her a hug and a kiss and set her down. She was still crying and I thought she was just being dramatic.

When I turned around again, she had blood all over the back of her t-shirt. After giving her a bath and assessing the damage (with the help of our pediatrician's office), it didn't appear to be that bad. However, when I changed the bandage before putting her to bed, it had started to separate wider so I took her to immediate care.

I was not impressed with the care. We were there for 2 hours, they did not numb the area or give her any pain medicine as they put the 3 staples in, and they had to get some sort of plie
r tool to adjust one of the staples b/c they did not get it in correctly at first. Jadyn was saying "Owchie, owchie, let's just go home Mom....No thank you...I am all done" She was a trooper.

Here is Jadyn sporting her new fun rainbow bandages that I got for her. After the initial bleeding, she did not need a bandaid. However, it took me a few days to convince her of that!



Jadyn got the staples out this last Thursday at our regular pediatrician's office. Our doctor showed her the staples and said they look like little birdies. She said Jadyn could keep the birdies. When the doctor when out for a moment, Jadyn turned to me and said, "Mom, I don't want to keep the birdies". It was so funny and she was trying to be polite by not saying it right to the doctor.

I love this little girl so much and I am grateful her injury wasn't worse. I don't think I can handle anything worse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birdies? Not sure I see the connection.

Lindsey said...

When they take the staples out, it pinches the middle of the staple down so it looks like a V of a bird flying in the air!

The Kelly Variety said...

I'm sorry, I'm not really into the blood thing or big ouchie's. I told Mike he'll have to deal with it. So far so good, he's been here every time! I know there will be a day when I have to be a big girl, but until then I'm a big baby!

Britany Peterson said...

I think both of you girls handled the situation beautifully. : ) Definitely not something a parent ever wants to go through, but at least it has a happy ending. Jadyn is a sweetie, I think my little one would have delt the individual holding the stapler a retalitory blow.
Brit